Monday, August 13, 2012

Beautiful Tables of August 12, 2012
What a special event took place today! It was an occasion that occurs far less frequently than I would like. I was privileged to feast at the two most beautiful tables in my world all in the same day. As I reflected on the second one, I realized that there were two, and must consider them both.
The first was set before my brothers and sisters in Christ. It is one from which I am eager to be served each week. The eucharist, the body, and the blood of grapes comprise a simple, but holy feast which brings to mind the sacrifice which fuels my gratitude and joy for the coming days. I am refreshed and strengthened by this celebration with my family of believers.
The second table is the old mahogany oval in my dining room around which are gathered all the people most dear to me in life. Present are my husband, our two sons, our daughter-in-law and granddaughter. Although the menu is a little more complicated, it wouldn't matter if it only consisted of a peanut butter sandwich and a glass of water. The beauty of the table is the dear faces of the ones we love more than any other on earth. I sat there basking in their presence, wishing I could freeze the moment to bring out on the days after they return home, and the oval is far too large for two people. No, the beauty is in its being filled with happy, loving souls bound together by blood and marriage. And again I am joyfully grateful ~ refreshed and strengthened by the second celebration of the day.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful thoughts and heartfelt no doubt. As I age, I find that the Church and family have totally vital to me.......that's the way the Savior expected me to grow both in my love for him and my love for family. You are off to a fabulous start! Love, Alice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! Welcome to the world of blogging. :)

    ReplyDelete