Monday, October 1, 2012


More Connections….

Friendship is such a curious mixture of chemistry and propinquity, of the almost scarily fortuitous quality in kindred souls occasionally being lucky enough to find each other.

 

In my ongoing sifting, sorting, stacking and storing I ran across the above quote a dear friend had shared with me which described our friendship. I was resigned to having lost it forever, and the friend has passed away. None of my research efforts were successful. I was overjoyed to run across it today buried in one of the numerous boxes in the back of the closet. It's finding such treasures unexpectedly along the way that motivates me to finish this exhausting task. Neither of us could find the author at the time, but we knew it depicted the beginning of our relationship perfectly.

 

In truth, that curious mixture of properties occurs often in my life, and I hope it does in yours. Occurs, in the plural, reflects the delightful blessings of new friends finding each other even in advancing years. Do you ever find yourself wanting to say to a freshly found kindred soul, "Where have you been all my life? Let's not waste time!"? And Facebook has facilitated the renewal of relationships I was too immature to value as highly as I ought many years ago. Aren’t second chances priceless! I’m thinking of Ro, and Ron, and Ray ~ and many others (whose names don’t begin with “R”). We find the kind of person with whom we feel safe in sharing vulnerabilities, and the seeds of deep friendship take root quickly. Our lives grow even richer. Because I do believe that luck is a false god, I consider the cosmic collision more one of a heavenly blessing designed specifically for me by the lover of my soul. Thank you, Lord, for precious friends.

4 comments:

  1. I fully agree and am so thankful to God everyday for our friendship. He places people in our lives in His perfect timing and places--even unexpected ones like Sam's Club. :) Thank you for being a soul mate to me and a safe person. Friends like you are rare to find. I love you lots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never do I go in Sam's without thinking of our chance(?) meeting, Scarlett. What rippling treasures that led to in my life, and Buzz's. We have come to love your whole family, and hope you will keep us young for years to come. Thanks for the sweet words!

      Delete
  2. I've always thought of this miraculous gift of unexpected friendship as serendipity...by chance, I clicked on "accept" and found that that sweet, intelligent girl that I vaguely remembered as someone who seemed to know the secrets of melding into the strange hierarchy of this religious, sometimes-stiffling, southern college...this "perfect" southern girl who had Miss Lora's stamp of approval...she actually cited you and Mary Jane during one of her many "come to Jesus, Rowena" heart-to-heart talks (okay, lectures!) after one of my many escapades.. Yikes! that had the opposite effect on this always-questioning, sarcastic, rebellious-but-so-longing-to-fit-in girl. I could never be you, but then I had the absolutely brilliant comraderie of my boys...Dickie, Ray, Buckwheat, Ron, Rat, Dave Graf, et.al. There could never be anything other that a somewhat casual connection to one of the southern belles! Yet, curious, I clicked on "accept" expecting to read of a life of perfection...and, wham! serendipity! I found ~ as you said ~ a friendship which sometimes stuns me in its depth...Who knew the perfect southern belle was feisty, hilarious, challenging, deep-to-the-bone??? Who knew a casual connection rooted almost 50 years ago would become so meaningful to me?? I think even Miss Lora would approve...altho' she'd probably add that it was about time I listened to her...Love, love, love you, Pat, and it pleases me beyond measure that you are my serendipituous (?? spell-check, please!) friend...Rowena

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ro, had to reply in email in order to maintain my reputation. :)

      Delete