Where There’s a Will……..
If ever
there was an appropriate old maxim describing our weekend it would be ~ where
there’s a will, there’s a way! Our patient, considerate, hard-working, strong
son came home once again for another weekend of Helping the Parents. We are
trying not to abuse or exasperate Will, but his help is of inestimable value as
the cleaning out continues. And, to be fair, Drew would be of great assistance
as well, but he lives too far away to come for a day’s help.
This job is
taxing. For one thing, Buzz and I try to be more patient with each other when
Will is around, exemplifying marriage as a good thing ~ in case he ever wants
to try it. And, believe me, that effort is not always easy! I’m quite certain
that I am trying harder than Buzz. I have swallowed more “You’ve gotta be
kidding me”’s than I can count ~ replacing them with “Yes, dear”’s. Have almost
choked several times. Can’t imagine why, but Will is more effective in
reasoning with each of us with regard to what we need to keep than we are with
each other.
We finally
got the storage room organized, and it’s a beautiful thing ~ relatively
speaking. We have a box of tools ready for the yard sale that is too heavy to
lift. And we found a heavy old wooden chest with an enamel top that was buried under
all the stuff. Buzz says it is over a hundred years old, and sat on the family
back porch all his life. We cleaned it up, painted it, and sprayed the top with
appliance enamel, and Will now has a spiffy chest for his storage building. I love it when that happens!
The painters
have finished. Just before the last one left, I managed to rip my towel bar off
the wall so that now he has to come back and repair it. I’m my own worst enemy
sometimes.
Having been
advised to clear out all the clutter in our house before we show it, I gathered
all non-hanging pictures, antique vases, etc., boxed them up and removed them
from the house. Of course, our stuff
is not clutter (ahem!) but treasured family pieces. And we haven’t even
scratched the surface. And incidentally, what are we supposed to do about a
life while this process is underway? If I let my mind go to what’s still ahead
I’m afraid I’ll back out. Buzz is supportive, but it’s the wife/mother who
decides about all the junk in the house. We’ve got his storage room done, and
he’s ready to roll. At times, I’m ready to cave! I shouldn’t even be writing
this. I should be clearing out stuff. But things tend to get blurry in time. It’s
my therapy. That’s my story, and I’m stickin’ to it!
Good luck--you can do it! Wish we coudl stop by the yard sale. :)
ReplyDeleteI am totally "with you" in your description of family treasures. In Harve's typical assessment of situations, he has already informed me that our treasures will collectively be put into a rental truck and driven to the local dump! I try not to even think he is right about this. Sure wish I was closer in miles to help you. Still would like to chat about your decision when you have FREE time to call!! So enjoy your chronicles.
Deleteoh I love reading your stories! =) Any forward movement is progress - remember that even on the days when the tasks seem to multiply quicker than you can knock them out. Sounds like you are doing great though, and having someone to mediate is wonderful! I could also be considered a "pre-hoarder" so I can relate to the difficulty of parting with all my treasures, but it is almost liberating to not have to fool with storing, cleaning, moving, etc all those "things" once they are gone. I wish you all the luck and determination to see this task through, and hope you enjoy the journey. love you! Julie B.
ReplyDelete