Honey McMackin
June 18, 1917 – September 24, 2006
On an
ordinary Sunday afternoon six years ago today an extraordinary woman slipped
from this earthly life to the one for which she had lived most of her years. My
mother, Honey Brigance McMackin, was a woman of unfading beauty with a quiet and
gentle spirit. Even so, she had a zest for life uncommon for one her age. Her
keen mind and youthful spirit were an inspiration to all who knew her, and
persisted until her last day. There is always an extra ache in my heart on this
date.
Mother
greeted each day with a sense of wonder as to what delights the following hours
would hold. It was she and my dad who instilled the optimistic outlook in my
brothers and me ~ and it has served us well throughout our lives. She wanted to
never stop learning, and she was interested in everything. She worked the daily
crossword puzzle even when in ICU; and was insulted when she had to work it in
pencil because pens wouldn’t work while she was lying on her back! When sorting
through her personal effects I found clippings and articles on every topic
imaginable tucked into the many books she had read. At age 85, she discovered
email, and that opened a new world of delights to her.
My parents
traveled widely and hosted guests from all over the world in their home. Mother
loved communicating with her great assortment of friends, and I am almost
certain that she saved every letter that was ever written to her. I have
enjoyed immensely getting to know her better as a young woman from reading the
diary she kept as a teen, and the letters from her dear friends of that era.
Possibly the
greatest adventures of Mother’s life came when Daddy was in the Navy during
WWII. They had so many tales to tell of those years. One of our favorites was
of Mother and another Navy wife driving from Tennessee to California in order
to be with their husbands for just one night before the guys shipped out of San
Diego to fly bombers off of an aircraft carrier in the Pacific. As the two
brave women drove down the coast of California the weather was so dark and
foggy that Mother had to stand out on the car’s running board and try to
navigate for the driver who couldn’t see anything. They, and other such women,
were surely part of the Greatest Generation.
There is so
much I could share about my mother ~ her love for family, for her students, for
proper grammar, for four-leaf clovers, for cooking and entertaining, for
laughter, for flowers,……… and the list has no end. Above all, she loved her
God, and the grief I (and all) experience with the loss of my mother is assuaged only by
knowing that she is with Him, and we will all be gathered home once again some
grand day.
Pat, I heard my mother talk about "Honey Brigance" all my life. I was fasinated by her name and really by all the folks in Henderson that mother talked about. She and mother must have been very much alike. (Maybe everyone in Henderson is?) She too loved correct grammar. I'm sure I have let her down many times. Mother was very sick for a long time. Once toward the end, Ellen and I were sitting on each side of her bed watching her labored breathing and thinking she probably had slipped into a coma when a young man came in to visit. Mother never opened he eyes, but when he left she said in a faint whisper, "He always uses perfect grammar." Ellen and I just burst out laughing. After all that was the most important thing--Perfect Grammar. Missed you this morning. Martha
ReplyDeleteI have such fond memories of your mother...I remember as a little girl being so fasinated with her name "Honey". Always wondered why my mother didn't name me something as sweet! I am so enjoying your writing...you were always so kind to me and always had such wonderful advice to give. I'm remembering you & Buzz right now as you make your transistion & hoping that maybe it will find you a little closer to me over here "across the river" so my daughters will get the chance to know the wonderful woman who was such wonderful friend to their grandmother & mother. Love you Ms. Pat! Tracie
ReplyDelete