Remembering the Day
If I don't write down memories it's quite possible that they won't last as
such these days. Since there are a few more minutes left in our anniversary day,
I'm chronicling random images from dawn until past dusk.
The day began with a knock at the bedroom door awakening my bridesmaid and
me around 7 a.m. It was my dear daddy dressed in full tuxedo with a white towel
draped over his arm. He greeted us cheerily, with a bow, carrying a tray with
two glasses of orange juice. How could we not rise with a smile! It truly set
the tone for the day, and I shall always remember the effort it took for him to
give us that delightful moment.
The day was filled with activity. Lots of last minute details to occupy the
whole family until the magic hour. I was amazingly relaxed ~ more so than
anyone else, I believe. Everyone thought I was on something, but it was just a
natural high. Finally Daddy walked me down the aisle and the deed was
done.
I had told Buzz several times before the ceremony that I wanted only a
brief kiss to seal the deal. When the time came, I had my hands on the front of
his shoulders as he kissed me, and kissed me, and kissed me. I was pushing those
shoulders with all my strength, but to no avail. You can even hear the wedding
guests laughing on the audio tape. He showed me that he would do just as he
pleased even before we left the alter. I was pretty outdone with him as we
walked up the aisle ~ but wore a smile because I didn't think it would bode well
for wedding talk if I looked irritated so early into the marriage. I was well
over it by the time we got to the reception. Now it is a fun memory.
We had trouble getting away from the reception because we were having so
much fun talking to the guests. Finally some asked us to leave so they could go
home, and we left to change clothes and leave the church building. When we came
out in the foyer to leave, Buzz had his tie (everybody dressed up in those days)
in his hand. I did not know he couldn't tie a real tie. What to do? I knew how
to tie one so we stood in the foyer while I tied it for him. We even have a
picture of it in our album. Looking back now it seems so silly to leave in full
church clothes ~ but those were different days. We got out to his black car and
someone had painted it up all over. That white never did fully come off of that
car!
When we got to the hotel that night, we opened our luggage and someone (and
you know who you are!) had filled it with rice. The stuff went everywhere as
we pulled out clothes. I was quite outdone. Being well-trained by my mother, I
got down on my hands and knees to scoop up rice before making another move. It
bothered me to leave that mess for housekeeping. That was another thing I
would do differently today.
My wedding day was a fun-filled day from beginning to end. I always urge
brides-to-be to pledge to themselves that the event will be enjoyable. The
wedding will proceed, almost no matter what. And it's so much better to remember
it as a joyful day than one of tension and over-expectations. I'm glad I can say
that 42 years later!
August 15, 2012
Love this! Happy anniversary!
ReplyDelete